Recipe & photo by Romania Food for Foreigners
Time: 60 minutes
Servings: 4 portions, maybe 6 as a side dish
500g of cauliflower (about one small one)
A splash of oil
3-4 cloves of garlic
150g of smoky pork (smoky bacon will work)
100g of grated ‘cascaval’ cheese (Cheddar or Emmental as a replacement)
200ml of ‘smantana’ (sour cream)
Salt, pepper, and paprika for seasoning
1. Put a pan of water on the stove, add salt, start to bring to a boil. Preheat the oven to about 200C (low-medium).
2. Break the cauliflower into florets and trim off the hard stems. Put into the boiling water, boil for 8-10 minutes, leave to drain.
3. Finely chop the onion and slice the garlic and sauté for 5 minutes in the oil on medium-high heat until softened.
4. Chop up the bacon and add to the onion and garlic mixture and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Add this to the now drained cauliflower and mix it together.
6. In a separate bowl, mix the sour cream, eggs, and grated cheese.
7. Add the cream mixture to the cauliflower mixture and put it all in an ovenproof dish and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. Can be finished under the grill if you want a crispy top. Season to taste and serve.