Recipe & photo by Romanian Food for Foreigners
Time: 90 mins
Servings: 5-6 people
500g of lean veal
500g of lean pork
300g of bread, crusts removed
100ml of milk
1 medium onion, finely chopped
100g of butter
3 bunches of dill
Salt and pepper for seasoning
½ cup of flour
800ml of sour cream
2 tablespoons of dried mushroom powder
1. Mince the meat and put it in a large mixing bowl.
2. Soak the bread in the milk, drain, and squeeze out the excess.
3. Melt a knob of the butter in a pan and gently fry the onion until it is translucent and soft, but not burnt.
4. Beat the two eggs.
5. Finely chop the dill.
6. Mix together the minced meat, the bread, the fried onions (pour the melted butter in too), the two eggs, and one-third of the dill and season with salt and pepper.
7. On a plate, mix together the flour and another third of the chopped dill.
8. With wet hands, form the meat mixture into walnut-sized balls and roll them in the flour/dill mixture to coat them all over.
9. Melt the rest of the butter in a large frying pan and, in batches if necessary, fry the meatballs until brown all over and hard.
10. Beat the sour cream with two tablespoons of the flour (use any flour that was leftover from rolling the meatballs), the rest of the dill, and the dried mushroom powder.
11. Drain any excess oil/butter off the meatballs and arrange them in a ceramic pot with a lid and pour the sour cream mixture over them.
12. Put the pot in a preheated oven on low heat until the liquid has reduced by about half.