Recipe & photo by Romanian Food for Foreigners
Time: 20 minutes (plus an extra 30 minutes for trimming and washing the leaves if using fresh ones)
Serving: About 4 as a side dish
3kg of fresh spinach (or 1kg of trimmed spinach leaves)
1 tablespoon of flour
A cup of milk
1-2 cloves of garlic to taste
1. Trim and wash the spinach and plunge the leaves into boiled water for about 5 minutes until they have shrunk.
2. Drain the spinach leaves in a colander for about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, gently heat some oil in a pan, just about enough to cover the base of the pan.
4. Mix the tablespoon of flour into the oil until you get a well-mixed paste and heat this, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
5. Empty the spinach into the pan and mix well, still over the low heat. Allow cooking for a minute or two.
6. Gradually add the milk, bit by bit, stirring in between addition, whilst maintaining the low heat under it. The milk should be absorbed – when it starts to look wet, stop adding the milk.
7. Crush the garlic cloves and mix them into the spinach, along with some salt (to taste).
8. Cook for a few more minutes, stirring frequently, and then either serve hot or keep as a cold salad or spread.