Photo & recipe by Romanian Food For Foreigners
Time: 30 minutes
About 150-200g of nettles
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons of sour cream (smantana)
3 green garlic stems (or two cloves of regular garlic and a small onion)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the nettles thoroughly with 3 or 4 changes of cold water.
2. Bring some water to the boil and blanch the nettles for about one minute and drain.
3. Bring another pan of about 600ml of water to a boil. When it boils, add the drained nettles and the chopped garlic (and onion, if using). Leave to a gentle boil for about 15-20 minutes until everything is soft.
4. Meanwhile, beat the egg yolk and the sour cream together.
5. When the soup has finished boiling, blend it into a cream with a hand blender and stir in the yolk/cream mixture.
6. Simmer for another minute, stirring constantly.
7. Season to taste.
8. Serve with fresh cream and crusty bread.