Recipe & text Romanian Food for Foreigners
1 kilogram of chuck steak (ceafa de vita)
250g of beef suet (I couldn’t find this so I ended up using slanina – pork fat)*
½ teaspoon of ground cumin
½ teaspoon of ground allspice
Ground black pepper
A large chunk of bread
Some mujdei (crushed garlic, salt, and water)
½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1. Pass the beef through the mincer, then do the same with the suet. Mix them together well with your hands and then pass them through the mincer one more time.
2. Dip a lemon-sized chunk of bread (without crusts) into the mujdei and mix in with the meat.
3. Add all the other ingredients, with about a teaspoon of salt and mix it thoroughly to obtain a paste.
4. Wet a wooden chopping board and your hands and roll out some of the meat paste into a smake of 3cm diameter. Cut 10-12cm lengths and place them on a moist plate. Repeat till all the meat paste is used up. Store them in the fridge for a couple of hours.
5. Cook them on a hot grill, or under a hot grill, or brush them with oil and roast them on a high temperature, or even fry them (although that tends to make them a bit too greasy).
6. Keep them warm in a cover bowl until they are all cooked and then serve with fried potatoes, fresh bread, mustard, and a salad.